December is Avalanche Awareness month at Jones Snowboards and they’d like you to watch this High Fives Foundation edit as a reminder that venturing into the back country is dangerous and there are many things to know before you get out there. Here’s High Five’s top five list to enjoying the back country and getting back safe.
1. Get Educated. Learn about avalanche safety by taking a class.
2. Know your skills, know your surroundings. Check out forecasts for weather and conditions before you go.
3. Have the proper equipment and know how to use it (avalanche transceiver, probe, shovel, and airbag).
4. Never travel alone. Always ride with partners in a group and have a plan.
5. If you don’t feel comfortable, don’t go. There is always tomorrow when using good judgement.
And if you really want to be safe, don’t go into the back country at all.
[Link: Jones Snowboards]