Remember how rad the move Tremors was? Low budget. Great monster worms. Epic Action? Well, what if someone did that same movie, only it was at a shred resort. And the monsters weren’t word, they were sharks? Sadly, someone has already had this very thought, and after watching the trailer all we can say is: Avalanche Sharks is no Tremors. But it was filmed at Mammoth, so it has that going for it. Recognize anyone?
[Link via HunterGnarland]
While surfers may get nibbled every other day in Florida, Northern California surfers have a bit different beast to deal with in the form of massive Great White Sharks. Forty-five-year-old Jay Scrivner (great name for a College English teacher) found out in a serious way while surfing near Eureka, California on Sunday morning, October 6, 2013, according to a story in the Press Democrat.
Scrivner regularly surfs at the spot near Humboldt Bay known as the Samoa Peninsula. He was aware that another surfer, Scott Stephens, survived a shark attack in the same area last year. . . Scriver said that “out of nowhere” he saw the shark’s teeth and nose. After he was bitten, he took a swing at the great white and let out what a friend nearby described as a primordial yell. . . “I couldn’t believe it happened,” Scrivner said. “When I turned away from the shark, I said, ‘Did I really get bit?’ Your mind doesn’t believe it.”
Other than a big bite on his left thigh, Scrivner wasn’t missing any body parts so he paddled in. Once on shore friends reportedly applied pressure, and wrapped him in a T-shirt to slow the bleeding and Scrivner made it to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Eureka. Luckily, there was no artery or tendon damage and after getting 30 stitches Scrivner is expected to make a full recovery, according to the story.
[Update: Scrivner is already back to teaching his college classes at College of the Redwoods only 48 hours after getting hit, according to a story in the Times-Standard. That is dedication.]
[Link: Press Democrat]
A 20-year-old German german tourist had her arm bitten off “below the shoulder” by a shark on Wednesday, August 14, 2013 while snorkeling about 50 yards offshore at Palauea Beach on the Hawaiian island of Maui, according to a story in The Garden Isle.
Bystanders on shore heard the woman scream, put her on a kayak and brought her to land, said Lee Mainaga, fire services chief at the Maui Fire Department. Her right arm was severed below the shoulder, he said. The limb wasn’t recovered. . . The woman was taken to Maui Memorial Medical Center in critical condition. A spokeswoman there said Thursday that the hospital had no further information to release.
On Thursday the beach was reopened after officials saw “no sign of sharks in the area.”
[Link: The Garden Isle]
Wetsuit developers SAMS (Shark Attack Mitigation Systems) have created some wetsuits that mess with sharks heads, but not in a bad way, according to a story in the Daily Mail. Apparently, sharks use their sense of smell to find prey, however, they use their eyes just before they chomp down.
The Diverter wetsuit has navy and white stripes that are seen on some poisonous animals and fish to make the shark think they diver is dangerous. . . The designers have also created matching surfboard stickers. . . According to SAMS, years of anecdotal evidence suggests that a stripe pattern acts as a deterrent or repellent to sharks.
Not looking like something that sharks want to eat is always a good thing.
[Link: Daily Mail]
St. Augustin Beach, Florida surfer Andrew Birchall, 37, is recovering from two shark bites to his foot after jumping off his board and stepping on a shark, according to a story in Action News Jax.
“When he got off the board, he apparently stepped on the shark in about waist deep water. The shark bit him we think twice. We think he bit him once, then kind of pulled his foot out of the shark’s mouth, then he got another bite on his toes,” mother Nancy Birchall said. . . She said her son has been surfing the St. Augustine Beach area for years, and never had a problem.
After a trip to the hospital and surgery to remove a shark tooth from his foot, Birchall is doing well. Seems it’s hard to step off your board in Florida without stepping on a shark.
[Link: Action News Jax]
A least one surfer in Santa Cruz, California was apparently hoping to grab more than his/her share of the first major summer swell when they posted close to 10 fake shark warning signs at Pleasure Point, according to a story on KTVU.com.
Warning signs with the California State Parks logo were posted Wednesday night at Pleasure Point Beach near Santa Cruz warning people of a shark. . . At first glance the sign, which tells surfers to go to another beach, appears real. . . The sign ends with “Surf Cowells instead.”
It fooled some surfers for a while, but most figured it out after reading the “Surf Cowells instead” line. Desperate times requires desperate measures. We’re surprised this doesn’t happen more often.
A 36-year-old French surfer who was spending his honeymoon on Reunion Island was attacked and killed by a shark, according to a story on Sky.com.
The 36-year-old French national was in the sea just off the popular beach of Brisants de Saint-Gilles on the west of the island when a shark charged at him twice, prompting a nearby swimmer to raise the alarm when he saw blood on the water, the local prefecture said. . . Lifeguards jumped in the water to fetch the victim, who had lost a lot of blood and was in cardiac and respiratory arrest. They brought him back to the beach but were unable to revive him.
The man’s new bride is reportedly being treated for shock. This is the third person to die from a shark attack on Reunion Island in the last two years. Our thoughts are with the man’s wife, their families and friends.
Michael Adler, a 15-year-old surfer from Fort Lauderdale, Florida is kind of glad he was bitten by a shark while surfing in Melbourne on Saturday, May 4, 2013, according to Fox News. There were 20 holes in the top of his foot, but that’s not the important part.
Adler says he is eager to surf again, despite the attack. . . “Now I know I’m not gonna get bit again so I’m not scared,” he told WSVN. “I mean, how many people get bitten by a shark, twice?”
You mean aside from Florida surfers who say they’re never going to get bit again, Michael?
[Link: Fox News]
A 21-year-old surfer from DeBary, Florida wins the honor of New Smyrna’s first shark bite of the season, according to a story in the Daytona Beach News-Journal.
The surfer, whose name was not available, was bitten about 1:30 p.m. Saturday as he caught waves off New Smyrna Beach near the south jetty, Marris said.
According to the International Shark Attach File Florida’s Volusia and Brevard counties share the 2012 record for shark bites with eight each in 2012. Yay, Florida.
[Link: Daytona Beach News-Journal]
Paul Santos was surfing Kiholo Bay Wednesday, January 16, 2013 on the Big Island of Hawaii when a 15-18 foot tiger shark bit down on his right arm and leg. His surfing buddy Steve Macres saw the entire thing, according to a story in the Star Advertiser.
“I turned around to go on a wave and heard him. I heard that blood-curdling scream. It was just so primordial. It was unbelievable and it went into an echo so I could tell while he was screaming, he went underwater,” Macres told KITV-TV. Macres said he saw the shark come out of the water, followed by a splash and then nothing. He said he thought his friend was dead and made a quick decision to paddle to shore. About 20 feet later, he decided to turn around to get another look. . . “I just see him paddling for me. It was just incredible. It was like he was just born again, I just went, ‘Oh God. Thank God.’ You know?” said Marcres. “And then he lifted his right arm and his hand was flopping and it was, the bone was connected and it didn’t break, but everything else was gone. I go, ‘Paddle Paul, paddle!”’
On Thursday Santos was at Kaiser Permanente’s Moanalua Medical Cetner in Honolulu, according to the story, where he was “in stable condition with bites to his right arm and leg.”
[Link: Star Advertiser]